Founded in 1946 by 11 artists from Elmhurst.
The Elmhurst Artists' Guild, one of the oldest and foremost guilds in Chicago's western suburbs, was incorporated in 1946. The first Guild meeting was held in Ms. Jane Duncan's Art & Gift Shop at 551 Spring Road in Elmhurst.
From this humble beginning, the Guild has continued to grow through monthly meetings, artist demonstrations, and local exhibits.
The Elmhurst Artists' Guild is a Charter Member of the Alliance of Fine Art (AFA) since 1962. The AFA is a professional association of Chicagoland art organizations that offers a wider range of information, resources and other benefits to the EAG membership.
The Elmhurst Art Museum is the Guild home. In 1989 and 1990, the Guild consummated an agreement for the sale of its property to the Elmhurst Park District. This land, adjacent to Wilder Park, cleared the way for expansion of Wilder Park and the building of the museum and secured a permament home for the Guild
The museum's cornerstone is McCormick House, a U-shaped white, steel and glass residence designed by architect Mies van der Rohe. The museum houses five galleries, one permanently devoted to exhibiting works by members of the Elmhurst Artists' Guild.